Gary and Christine Byrer have proudly owned and driven their 1940
Chevy Coupe since 1959. In the early days it was daily
transportation. Then sat unattended for a few years before being
reborn as a street rod. Gary handled all of the build himself, except
for the paint and interior. It was an eight-year labor of love that is
now powered by a 350 Chevy engine that he salvaged from a '72
Christine's brother Bill bought the car in the 50s in Arizona and drove
it a couple of years before selling it to them. Christine speculates
that it originally came from California, as they found a drive-in movie
ticket from there when they were working on the restore.
Above-The flying lady was optional on the 1940 Chevy and
is original to this car. Left-Gary found the '56 Olds hubcaps
in Illinois. Christine's brother had a similar pair on his '56
Chevy back in the day. Below-Note the pinstriped bumper.
More Feature Cars: